More and more people are now trying to make use of their basement in a more efficient manner, and that is the reason why you can find many using it as a workout room, a laundry room, a family room, or a home theatre. In case you have remodelled your basement to use it as a family room, you may also be thinking of adding a kitchen to space. While the idea looks great, it requires serious attention because building a kitchen in your basement is not like building one on the ground floor. Here are few things to bear in mind when deciding to build a kitchen in your basement:
- Pay special attention to ventilation. Without ample ventilation, you just cannot use your basement kitchen effectively. A good way to have improved ventilation is to opt for an electric chimney. It works quite efficiently to remove cooking smells from your basement kitchen. You can also opt for a ventilator to make your basement kitchen feel fresh.
- Do not overlook the importance of fire safety. You need to take steps to ensure that you can extinguish small fires immediately. It is also important to keep the exit from the basement far from the kitchen, so even small children can get out of the basement in case of an emergency. Do not forget to keep a fire extinguisher handy because it goes a long way in preventing small fires from becoming serious.
- Select the right flooring option when having a kitchen added to your basement. You need to select a flooring option strong enough to support the weight of your refrigerators, washing machines, and dishwashers. The good thing about having these appliances in your basement kitchen is that you can use them at full speed without disturbing others. You may want to talk to a basement remodelling specialist to learn about the best flooring option for your basement kitchen.
- Do not invest a lot in buying new furniture. You can always put the old furnishings to use in your basement kitchen. Old cabinets from your maintain floor kitchen can go into your basement kitchen to make the available space look good and functional. By going this way, you will be able to save some money and your environment will thank you as well.
- Work with a pro when adding a kitchen sink. The good thing is that your basement is already close to the drains of your house, so adding a sink does not have to be a big hassle. It will also be easier to add the washing appliances. Still, it is a good idea to let an expert take care of these tasks to avoid any complications later. You need to do the same when installing the wires. You may be thinking that you can do it yourself since the mains are in the basement, but not doing it correctly would make your kitchen inefficient and even risk your safety at the same time. Let a professional do it for you!